Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Avon Walk 07


This past weekend I joined 1,900 other walkers along the beaches of Long Beach California to raise over 4.3 million dollars for breast cancer research and outreach. It was my third walk and I was even more amazed by the amazing women and men who walk, crew, cheer, and support this adventure. I was fortunate to walk with my wonderful team Peggy's Spirit. We all started out as strangers over the years and have become a family of walkers. Not only was it wonderful weather but I was surrounded by wonderful people.

As many of you know my foot has been injured ( a muscle pull in the arch,) well finally last week I had my first day without pain. My doctor recommended taking it easy and taped me up. I walked the first 5 miles and took about an hour and a half off and the foot still felt good so I walked another 2 miles before taking a sweep van and heading into camp. My foot was re wrapped and I enjoyed an evening without pain. The next morning I was wrapped up one more time while I was being wrapped I realized that the doctor working on me was the same person that helped with my knee problems during the 2005 walk (what a small world.) I was feeling so good Sunday I ended up walking all 13 miles, for those keeping track that is 20 miles in two days (not bad for little training due to my injury.) I did end up with a few blisters and sore muscles since the rest of my body may not have been up to 13 miles but hey if the foot was okay then I did not care!

Enjoy my pictures, I was able to take some fun pictures of fellow walkers as I cheered them on (not as fun as walking!)

Closing Ceremonies "Raise your hand if have breast cancer, Raise you hand if some close to you has been touched by breast cancer, Raise you had if you walk to raise awareness for breast cancer, Raise you hand if you donated, or support a walker. (I may have skipped a few things)" By the end every person is raising their hands
One of the awareness banners at the Wellness Village

My cheering section : Mom, Sydney, Auntie Patty, Chrissy, Maureen
Me, My Auntie Patty, and My Mom
I walk in memory of their mom my grandma Momma Lu, and in the hope that no other women in our family will be diagnosed


My team Peggy's Spirit : Jean, Mike (his mom is Peggy this was his 32nd walk), Diane, Sydney (she walked last year in Mommy's tummy) Me, My sister Chrissy cheering me on
Martha a fellow walker this year she crewed and hosted a wonderful 7 dwarfs rest stop. Martha may be the happiest person I have ever me.
Me in front of the Pyramid Walking STRONG on day 2

Getting my foot fixed and the tape table
I am right the team Jean and Diane were just as camera happy as I am (here they were 50 feet from the start snapping pictures of a cool spider web.)
He served as a reminder of why we walk
This little guy was so cute cheering on his mommy and playing with a balloon he found
About 1 o'clock on day 1 a fog rolled in and swallowed up the pier in Seal Beach

Diane a teammate walking on day 2
Her Ribbon says "Every 3 minute" Ribbons were handed out throughout the walk as a reminder that every 3 minutes someone is diagnosed with breast cancer 637 walkers received ribbons over the weekend. I was one of those walkers cancer struck me in my sleep (remember to do your monthly self exams to prevent being one of the statistics!)
Evan was on Crew his mom, whose hand he is holding was both crew and walker
This is one of two towers that travel to each city, all the walkers in that city sign the tower.
This is one of the walkers I cheered on at the finish of day one, she broke into tears as she crossed the line.
A foggy start to the day

No comments: